LIFE and PORTRAIT DRAWING
Old Town Artists host both Life Drawing and Portrait Drawing Open Studio sessions open to all serious artists including beginners. Please sign up for our email newsletter for announcements of upcoming sessions.
Life Drawing sessions (nude model) are held weekly and run for either 2 hours ($12) or 3 hours ($18). Start time is always at 7PM on Wednesday evenings.
Beginning in June, 2023 the Monday Portrait Drawing sessions will be discontinued. The OT Artist membership will evaluate the future of portrait sessions this summer. The fall schedule will be announced here but be sure to sign up for our email newsletter that will have weekly updates!
COVID PRECAUTIONS REMAIN IN EFFECT
The following guidelines are intended to limit the dissemination of Covid-19 at the Wednesday night life drawing sessions and to provide a comfortable informal, safe space for those attending to practice their art.
- Attendance will be limited to 10 vaccinated individuals on a first come basis.
- No one is permitted to enter the studio who has had contact with an infected person within the past two weeks, has a fever, or has any of the many symptoms of a Covid-19 infection. If you feel ill stay home!
- Hand sanitizer is provided and should be used when appropriate.
- Artists must wipe down their easel and chairs with disinfectant at the end of the session and return them to their original storage space.
- The OT Artists monitor will disinfect the general areas after each session.
- Donations are expected from those who consume wine and snacks during the happy hour after each session.
- Pets are not permitted at the life drawing sessions.
- Visitors must refrain from entering the private studio space of OT Artists members.
INFORMATION ABOUT OPEN-STUDIO LIFE DRAWING SESSIONS
OT Artists has hosted life-drawing open-studio sessions for most of its history. The sessions are in the OT Artists studio space on the east end of the fourth floor of Warehouse 2 (the ACVR building). A freight elevator is available to those artists who don’t want to climb the three flights to the fourth floor.
The sessions are open to all serious artists, from beginner to expert. We especially welcome beginners, who can work at their own pace in a supportive, critique-free environment. This is an open studio, there is no instructor.
- Easels, drawing benches, and tables are available for use by the session participants.
- Participants bring their own drawing or painting supplies.
- Coffee, tea, and water are provided by OT Artists.
- We invite all participants to stay after the drawing sessions for popcorn and conversation.
The sessions are held in the studio shared by members of OT Artists. As a result, we request that participants observe these simple rules.
- Please remember that drawing session participants are guests of OT Artists.
- Stay out of the artist’s spaces. Participants are invited to use the lounge area.
- Do not use any equipment, easels, or supplies from the artist’s spaces.
- Use only furniture or easels labeled OT Artists.
- After the session return the easels, tables, TV trays, etc. to their storage locations.
- Pick up after yourself. Remember to throw away your coffee cups, scrap paper, paper towels, etc.
- Oil painters cannot use turpentine because many persons are allergic to it. Oil painters must use odorless mineral spirits.
- Fixatives are not allowed in the studio because they are health hazards in enclosed spaces.
- Smoking is not allowed in the building.
LENGTH OF SESSIONS
The drawing sessions alternate between a 3-hour session one Wednesday and a 2-hour session. The session schedule is posted in advance in our email newsletter.
How the sessions are run: The sessions consists of three, 3-minute poses followed by one pose for the rest of the session. The model is giving the discretion of posing for 45 minutes and taking a break for 15 minutes or posing for 22 minutes and taking a break for 8 minutes.
Time: Wednesday night sessions begin at 7 p.m. and run until 9 p.m. (2 hour session) or until 10 p.m. (3 hour session).
Cost: Beginning in 2023, cost is $12.00 for 2 hours or $18 for 3 hours, payable at the first break in the session. On the Wednesdays when the session is 3 hours, participating artists have the option of only drawing for 2 hours and paying $12 instead of $18 for the session. We provide a tip basket for the model. Tipping is optional.
Entry to the studio: Warehouse 2 (formerly the ACVR building) is locked after 4 p.m. The door will be opened for life-drawing participants from 6:40 to 7:00 p.m. After 7:00 p.m. call 612-461-8382 and someone will come downstairs to open the door for you.
Model schedule: The schedule of life-drawing models is announced in our newsletter.
Figure Models: OT Artists uses a model coordinator to schedule the models for the Wednesday-night open studio sessions. Please contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER LIFE DRAWING SESSIONS
Since 2009 Art Model Book has listed art schools, ateliers, and studios in the U.S. and Canada where artists can paint, sculpt, or draw live art models.
Art Model Book notes “Life Drawing groups come and go, and schedules change, so it is wise to confirm with the organizer before attending.”
Post a Comment